The Online Grid-Connected PV System Design certificate course is specifically designed to provide detailed technical information and step-by-step methodology for designing a grid-connected photovoltaic (PV) system. The course covers the fundamentals of solar PV systems, the different components required and the need to match them, and how to size a system. It also includes methods for conducting site surveys of potential installations, system installation, troubleshooting, maintenance and the economics of grid-connected PV systems. The course is designed around relevant Indian and international standards relating to grid-connected solar systems.
With a fully flexible web-based format, the online course allows students to complete the theory in their own time, usually within approximately 3 months.
- Introduction and OH&S
- Electrical Basics
- Solar Radiation
- PV Cells
- PV Mounting Systems
- Balance of System Equipment
- Energy Efficiency
- Site Assessments
- Matching Array & Inverter
- System Protection
- Cable Sizing
- Losses & System Yield
- System Installation
- Commissioning, Maintenance & Troubleshooting
- Economics of GC PV Systems
- Design Task
- Final Exam
The resource materials provided under the course are highly illustrative and explanations are given with the help of case studies and worked examples. Please click here to learn more about the accompanying handbook. The course has 16 main topics presented so that trainees learn and practice all aspects of designing grid-connected solar systems. Topics contain of illustrative reading materials, working examples for study, quizzes and exercises. Various types of quizzes and exercises are provided, including multiple choice, numerical, matching type, short answer and essay.
The first few topics of the course are designed to help readers understand the fundamentals of PV installation. These include solar irradiation, peak sun hours, sun-path diagrams, the position of the sun, solar altitude, geometric effects, tilting solar modules, electrical integration of PV modules and configuration of the array. Types and characteristics of solar cells, including power characteristics, performance, electrical protection and reliability issues, are discussed in detail, providing essential engineering and scientific knowledge to the designers. There is also a topic on inverters, which covers inverter types, efficiencies, protection systems, power quality, monitoring and selection.
The highly illustrative topic on mounting structures covers different types of mounting systems suitable for different types of roofing and ground material, PV array row spacing and calculating wind loading for solar arrays in different regions of India.
The course covers designing, selecting and balancing system components, including DC and AC cabling, protection and disconnection switches (fuses, isolators and/or circuit breakers), lightning protection, PV array DC and inverter AC isolators, metering and system monitoring.
A step-by-step methodology is provided for undertaking a site assessment to determine energy-efficient initiatives, occupational health and safety risks, solar radiation and shading, how the PV modules will be mounted, the positioning of inverters and the cable layout.
Matching of array and inverter is of the utmost importance for better performance of a grid-connected PV system. The designer needs to ensure that these components match in terms of voltage, current and power during seasonal changes in the operating temperature of the solar array. The handcourse covers this aspect with several working examples and case studies.
The course meticulously covers the forms of protection used within a PV array, the method of determining whether fault current protection is required and the sizing of fault current protection. Similarly, sizing and selection of DC and AC cabling is also explained, with several working examples.
In evaluating the energy yield and performance ratio of a PV system, it is important to consider losses from various different factors, including temperature, soiling, shading, manufacturer’s tolerance, voltage drop through AC and DC cabling, inverter, tilt and orientation of the solar modules.
At the end of the course, the participants have to complete a design assignment with given site and climatic information, equipment data sheets and economic considerations of the prevailing market.
GSES has a team of tutors who mark the online work and as necessary provide feedback or additional technical information to the students. GSES’ tutors are also available to be contacted by email during the course period.
This course has been developed in accordance with the Australian Clean Energy Council’s Design Grid-Connected Photovoltaic Power Systems Accreditation requirements and students receive a certificate of attainment on successful completion of the course. GSES also connects/recommends its student to respective industries for placement after successful completion of trainings.
GSES India provides customised mentorship to student to support an individual’s interest on further learning to realise future career plan and growth. Mentorship programme is designed for individual student to suit a person’s educational background, functional professional and technical skill, past experience (if any) and plan for growth in employment or business. Minimum mentorship duration is one week (5 working days) and it can be extended as per requirement of the candidate.
The following topics will be broadly covered under mentorship programme:
- Guided practice on PV system design software like HelioScope, PVSyst and SketchUp for rooftop and ground mounted utility scale projects.
- Guided practice on use of AutoCAD for preparing engineering drawings for PV plant installation covering rooftop and ground mounted utility scale projects.
- Guided design practice for rooftop and ground mounted utility scale PV projects.
- Guided project management practice for concept to commissioning of PV projects.
- Guidance for setting up of solar business, development of business strategy, vendor development and supply chain management.
GSES is committed towards generating social opportunity and gender equity by providing special concessions to unemployed youths, students and women participants in order to increase their entrepreneurial and technical skills in the renewable energy sector.
GSES India offers paid internship for a period of 3-12 months. Student who want to get engaged with GSES India as an intern will be selected through an assessment process. Duration and number of internship positions available depends upon the ongoing and upcoming projects and assignments at GSES India.
Course Fee and Enrolment:
For Further Information Contact:
GSES India Sustainable Energy Pvt. Ltd.,
A - 46, UG Floor, FIEE Complex, Okhla Industrial Area Phase 2
New Delhi - 110020, India
Phone: +91-11- 41040534
Mobile: +919560550077 / +91 9560550075/ +91 8757366099
e-mail: [email protected]
- "The course has been of great help to me, not only in providing insights of the solar PV system but also in assessing the importance of various parameters/factors that affect the performance of a system. As a consultant, I deal with the policy and regulatory issues of the solar PV. But, it was only after going through the course book and online content of the course, I believe, that I'm now better equipped at understanding the needs of a PV project and the nitty-gritty that it involves. " Vaibhav Singh, Consultant, Pricewaterhouse Coopers Pvt. Ltd., Gurgaon, India
- "The course covers the foundations of science-behind-solar-power to design principles for actual project implementation. I would say it bridges the gap between theoretical learning and implementation of knowledge. The course has provided with requisite technical expertise for taking on detailed Solar PV plant designing. Although the course focuses on grid-connected system, I have utilised the knowledge gained in designing off-grid solar PV systems as well." Abhinav Goel
- "Overall this course has imparted full understanding of the basic theory of grid-connected photovoltaic power system design, installation procedures as well as the protection devices required." Soon SiewSuan, Independent Consultant, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- "I was so happy on starting grid-connected PV systems course. I really appreciate the curriculum and gained a lot in my learning period. I will also suggest my friends to take-up this course. I especially appreciate the tutor's help & prompt assistance which was always provided in need." Samson Tsegaye, Country Director StiftungSolarenergie – Solar Energy Foundation, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- "I am happy to let you know that I have been offered the post of Research Associate in the "Energy and Environment Technology Development" of TERI. I was able to clear the interview with the knowledge gained through the online program. Thanking the whole team for arranging this program." Arun Joshy